History of The Rome Home
The Rome Home, established in 1909 to provide dignified and serene surroundings for elderly women without families, first set up business in a rented house on Elm Street. The two-story brick building, at 417 North Washington Street in Rome, was built in 1868 and is an excellent example of Italianate architecture. It was originally the home of the Bradt family and was converted to a home for elderly women in 1916 (men are now welcomed as residents). Portraits of the original owners can be seen in the living room of the home.
From 1920 until 1966, the Rome Home was a member organization of the Community Chest and its successor, the United Way. Annual fund drives have helped support the home.
Over the years the building has been improved with a sprinkling system, modern food storage, new carpeting and furnishing, paid for by private foundation grants, contributions from the public and interest on investments.
Managing the private home are a Board of Managers comprised of women volunteers and male Advisory Board.